Thursday, September 29, 2011

Cell Phones in the Classroom



After listening to an ISTE podcast interview with Liz Kolb, educational technology instructor, I've been struggling yet challenged to find effective ways of using cell phones with grades k-5. I don't believe that we need to try every shiny new thing in the classroom, but I do believe in giving new technologies conscience thought on how it could potentially enhance learning, creativity or communication in a classroom. With children ages 5-12, teachers are communicating with their parents more often than with grades 6-12. I'm interested in trying the Remind101 website as a safe way for teachers to text messages to students and parents for free. This could be effective with field trip reminders, homework assignments, spirit days, etc. Especially if the school district doesn't provide and email reminder service. In the past I have used classroom responders (clickers) with students for polling or quizzing. Not all classrooms or schools come equipped with this type of resource. I like the idea of using cell phones as student responders for middle-high school age. But, I was recently in a 2nd grade classroom that had received a class set of ipod touches from a grant. You CAN text on an ipod. So, with that being said, there are several websites that allow cell phones and ipods to be used as student responders. Here are a few I've tried.
Polleverywhere.com
Let'sGoVote.com

Still considering the rate of enhanced learning with this tool in a K-5 environment...

No comments: